Hiking with no snakes! I love NZ
As an Australian, New Zealand is considered to be our southern most state but for goodness sake don't tell any New Zealanders I said that! I'm kidding, while we do refer to New Zealand as being just “over the pond” it is an incredible country with supremely stunning landscapes, genuine people & a real creator mindset. New Zealand has been responsible for some top notch inventions like bungee jumping, nuclear physics (Ernest Rutherford) and even instant coffee!
As far as an adventure destination is concerned, New Zealand is for Australia what Costa Rica is for Americans. It's a civil liability free country (for most events) so costs don't have to cover wildly expensive insurance for operators. New Zealand also has a very high level of checks and balances for operators so you don't have to be concerned that the “no liability” status means shoddy businesses. That is not the case and you can head to NZ for some great adventures and experiences.
My Fave Photo From New Zealand
Despite a 2 hour ferry delay departing Auckland (fog!), the weather the day we spent on Waiheke turned out to be wonderful. It was in June which can be very cold in New Zealand, however Auckland is in the north and often has these one off spectacular days in the middle of winter. This was a whole weekend of great weather and Brad and I walked our butts off in Waiheke. Well not me because I could walk around Australia and maintain the butt I have, but we did some km's that day.
I took this with my phone, there was no real planning but I just loved the smooth ocean, the mist rolling in and those bright red flowers in the foreground. It's nothing photo wise but it reflects a wonderful day on Waiheke that we still talk about today.
Must Have Info About New Zealand
- Everywhere takes forever to drive to in New Zealand. In Australia we get used to 100km being an hours drive but it doesn't work that way in NZ. You need to add at least 20% of time to any drive.
- New Zealand isn't cheap. It is comparable with Australia price wise but if you are from the US or the UK you will find it expensive. Luckily the exchange rate will work in your favour.
- Hiking in New Zealand means you must be prepared for all weather conditions. Weather can change in an instant especially at altitude and more than a few people are rescued every year. Be a girl scout in NZ.
- Camper vans in New Zealand are referred to locally as “road maggots”. They are white, they crawl along and on occasion are everywhere!
Facts and Figures About New Zealand
- New Zealand has a very strong Māori culture and its very simple to see examples of this everywhere. 17% of all New Zealanders are Māori.
- New Zealand has no snakes! It makes hiking much more relaxing
- Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the NZ town with the longest name in the world. Don't ask me to pronounce it!
- There are at least 10 sheep for every person in New Zealand
- New Zealand was the first country to give women the right to vote.
- Kiwi Fruit is not actually from NZ. Its from China!
Recent New Zealand Articles
As an amazing adventure destination New Zealand isn't limited to cultural or nature based tourism. You can skydive, zipline, ski, sled or even snowshoe your way across NZ.
Looking to spend a weekend on Waiheke Island in Auckland's harbour? This guide will give you all the info you need to make it a great weekend of food, wine and activities.
3 Must Do's For New Zealand
Queenstown is New Zealand's adventure capital. Jet boating, bungee, skydiving and skiing in the winter are must do's in Queenstown. Despite its reputation as a winter destination, Queenstown is also great for summer holidays.
Where else in the world can you walk across a country in a day? Auckland! A lot of New Zealand's dismiss Auckland but I've always loved it. The islands in the bay are great fun, there are quality restaurants, hikes and much more in the region.
New Zealand has some of the best hikes in the world. Tramping as it's called in New Zealand is a national pastime and you can usually find a hike for a few hours or a few days within a short distance of almost anywhere in New Zealand. Click the image for the 14 best day hikes in NZ
More Things To Do In New Zealand
- Visit any of the wineries in New Zealand, but the ones on Waiheke in particular can be really fun as you walk from one to another.
- Visit Hobbiton. Not something I love but everyone else does
- Drive the Coromandal Peninsular a stunning slice of New Zealand and visit hot water beach.
- Hike Tongariro Alpine Crossing one of the worlds most amazing day hikes.
- Hike on Franz Josef glacier via a helitour
- Hike the Queen Charlotte Track
- Get out into the bush and spend a night stargazing
- Celebrate the New Year. New Zealand is the first country to ring in the new year. Be there!
- Visit Milford Sound
- View the southern aurora
- See the glow worms at Waitomo Caves
- Kayak the Bay Of Isles
- Lay in the bubbling mud pools of Rotatura
Tip for New Zealand
Nothing moves fast in New Zealand especially on the roads. In Australia we equate 100km with an hours drive (on the highways of course) but in New Zealand it doesn't work that way. Add at least 20-30% of the time you estimate to get from A to B in NZ.