OMG - it really does me in. I absolutely, positively, get my heckles up good and proper. Sure that's what it is - LUCK!
- I worked 70-80 hours a week routinely for 3 years
- I had a bought lunch maybe once a week - I ate a lot of fruit for lunches and drank water
- My clothes (including 90% of the ones I've got with me) are all from the op shop
- I've had maybe 3 beers since I've been on the road to save money and I don't even buy softdrinks.
- Even on the road I still work. I set everything up so that I could work from anywhere and my clients could still use my services, and they do and finally
- I write Blog Posts for 3 other websites (to a timetable) to help support mine
It's not luck that has me here and I'm far from rich. I worked frigging hard to save to get here and went without a lot of things to make it happen and you know what? If I can do it - anyone can do it so don't sit all smug and tell me how lucky I am. I have a husband at home that I miss terribly. I have an elderly dog who probably won't still be alive when I get home. I still have a mortgage that needs to be paid. I have the usual expenses a 50 year old from western society has but I saved enough to cover them and enough to come and here I am.
I am endlessly juggling funds to attempt to experience as much as I can on as little as I can and I got here by customising my priorities in life and making this my main one.
IT WAS NOT LUCK!!
- My husband supports me 100% with zero wavering on his behalf.
- My friends, my true friends, send me little message about how I'm living my dream and how much they are loving my posts. They keep me motivated and they keep me very much aware of how very fortunate I am to be doing this.
- My family are behind me and more than one of them is meeting me somewhere on the road.
However, as much as I am very fortunate to have the support I do, it was hard work and sheer determination that got me here. Luck my friends, was never in the building.
So next time you hear someone tell you something that seems incredible to you, remember: you can prioritize your own life. You can achieve anything you really want and you can do it at any age. Don't smile smugly and automatically assume that they have had a blessed life, because as those of you know me (those who really know me) know that mine has had its fair share of speed bumps but I've made the most of what I have and I'm now in week 12 of my only real dream. To travel.